Monday, April 12, 2010

Popcorn and Marshmallows

"Uh.... the fire doesn't normally burn that strong." I thought to myself as I noticed the flame on my stove top extremely high and abnormally orange while I was cooking some hamburger meat to make lasagna. I opened the door to the preheating oven to find a even larger flame and lots of smoke. Confused and slightly afraid I was going to burn my apartment building down due to a gas leak or something, I studied the mini bonfire coming from my gas stove to realize that there was something down there that had caught on fire. I lifted up the bottom cover only to find my stove had turned into a popcorn machine.
For the last week, a woman in the church and her two kids have ben staying with me. Apparently, out of fear that her kids would eat too much junk food, the mother hid some cookies and popcorn in the bottom part of the stove. While I don't approve of the dangerousness of this, I must admit it was a great hiding place. So, when I went to preheat the oven for the lasagna, the hidden boxes caught on fire. It was probably one of the funniest experiences I have had here as the kids and I took advantage of the opportunity and roasted marshmallows over the fire that had popcorn shooting out of it. :-)

1 comment:

  1. hehe a regular "when life gives you lemons..." moment, huh?